Monday, July 28, 2008

blank?

couple of things to ponder

I looked up the Paris Reviews website to find out who they had interviewed recently.
In reading about their publications was this description:
"From “the biggest little magazine in history” comes an addictively clever anthology prescribed to fill all the blank moments of your life."
Blank moments?
I can comprehend being vague and not attentive, having a blank stare or even the saying "the lights are on but no-one is home" but other than whilst in a meditative state how can a moment in your life be blank. Seems contradictory.

also:
In an excerpt from an interview in Paris Review with Umberto Eco, the interviewer likens the DaVinci Code to Eco’s Foucault’s Pendulum. Eco’s response is that he invented Dan Brown.
I don’t know whether the interview continues about this as the excerpt ends there but it does make the mind boggle about reality. What if the DaVinci Code & Dan Brown are Eco’s creations and the whole hoopla over the DaVinci code is fiction, the making of the movie, our reaction to it, all written by a man – suddenly, what is real and what isn’t? Can we tell?

du di du du (twilight zone music)...

BTW I like the Paris Reviews. They have some fantastic and not so fantastic interviews with writers.

No comments: