Monday, July 21, 2008

the existentialist bar

disco party photograph

the place I go to discuss philosophy with neither man nor woman but an entity, another being, another thought pattern

I walk up to the bar, lean on the counter and ask a question – tell me what an existentialist is? tell why am I here? but tell me in a discourse I have to strain to understand, I have to concentrate and be absorbed into the depth of the response, I have to feel it with my entirety, I have to know it. The response cannot be shallow but does it lead anywhere? what is the point of philosophy in the sense of mans desire for societal purpose and reason. Beyond the rational, logical realm.

Are these just discussions with my self and that I know the direction and the outcome because it is limited by my own knowledge or can I understand more through my own limits, recognition of my limits.

This vibe I get, an excitement at learning and discussing that makes my body shake uncontrollably and my voice quiver. addressing my desire and emanating from my core, from my basis of existence. but can I just discard all my physical attributes and acquirements to honour this or is it because of them?

is this thought pattern not me – can an individual have the duality or multiplicity to view or explain ideas with more than a singular (potentially complex) standpoint. laterally, not just it’s diametric (perceived logical) opposite

so when I shut my eyes I go to this bar to remove my thoughts from that which prevents me from sleep and seek to attain greater knowledge through osmosis in the absence of actual discourse – imaginary discourse, imaginary understanding?

it’s like going to sleep with a problem on your mind and during your sleep you realise the solution only to realise on waking that the solution you imagined is not feasible or you cannot remember the pertinent detail which completes the solution

during sleep there is a connection and causality between ideas, the separate definitions and separation of facets of philosophy and psychology and science and art and existence are no longer pertinent but a wholeness can be identified, links and combinations, permutations and commonality can be seen – like a cartoon animation where disparate objects fall through space and time joining to form other entities or forming a chain of causality then separating again and falling randomly (I think I saw it on the opening credits for a movie – letters tumbling and jumbling then melding to form words and names then falling away again)

what is the purpose of philosophy

maybe Hegel can tell me, Proust, Kant, anyone

this doesn’t help – from Hegel
“…from the History of Philosophy a proof of the futility of the science is mainly derived.”

“We must, however, consider it best when Thought does not pursue anything else, but is occupied only with itself - with what is noblest - when it has sought and found itself.”
so a purpose only unto itself

by the way – I am not an existentialist or any ist for that matter. I identify and understand some areas of study, philosophy, psychology, etc more comprehensively but who and what I am is not so much of these ideas but defined by them. we, human beings, need to breakdown all that we are into little definable sciences, quantitative facts. The only ‘ism’ I belong to is that of humankind in the present, inseparable. a cosmic organic entity independent in the physical and mental ability to stand apart from the whole
my opinion could be identical to another individual as it is based on the known, the shared knowledge and feelings expressed in current and historical literature and oral tradition. it will differ in the cultural representation as my current and acestoral qualities are dissimilar

the thing is, I never actually leave the bar, the dream does not come to any conclusion, it just dissolves as I drift into the unconscious – there is no subconscious as I sleep, I don’t remember my dreams if I have any so why do I then enter the bar on subsequent nights – begin again with the same question but different precepts or constructs or continue with the same or delve into something else

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I contradict myself somewhere in there - or have I baffled you with bullshit